Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Re-post of South Carolina Cousins

Here is a repost of an entry that I did awhile back to help you better understand my relationship with Jeffrey. Years ago, I met my South Carolina cousins through an old boyfriend of mine. They are actually his cousins, but once I met them and we had the connection we did- I adopted them as my own. Jeffrey, Brandy, and Brandon are the ones of the family that I was closest to. There was just this overwhelming feeling being around them that they were meant to be my family… and they have been ever since. Charleston, SC is my favorite place to visit. I find myself longing for their company and visits to their historic town. Everything there is lovely. Jeffrey and Brandon have always had their love for the fire department and I thought it was so neat how much their town is involved with their fire departments. When I think of Charleston, I think of an old timey fire station with a fire wagon and Dalmatian out front. I know it sounds silly, but that’s how it really is there in downtown Charleston (maybe minus the Dalmatian).
On June 18, 2007, there was a flashover and structural collapse that contributed to the deaths of nine Charleston firefighters. Brandon was one of the fallen. I will never forget the next morning as I logged on to my computer and pulled up the internet; it was one of the headline stories on MSN and they were not listing any names yet. I somehow knew that either Jeffrey or Brandon were one of the nine. I received a phone call later that day from Jeffrey confirming it was, indeed Brandon.
I made my way to South Carolina a few days later for the memorial service and Jimbo, my sister, and I were overwhelmed by the love and support that the thousands of firefighters from all over the US showed on that day. We drove through the night to make it on time and I can’t tell you how many fire trucks and police cars traveled along the road with us. After everything was over with, we visited the historic district and the picture below is what I saw in a window display while walking down one of those streets. I will never ever forget that day. They saved a life that day and for that- they are heroes.


Today, I ask that you honor not only my South Carolina cousin and the other fallen firefighters, but honor their families as well as your local fire department. I left that ceremony with an appreciation that I never had before. They risk their lives everyday for us.


Above Pic: Brandon's brother Jeffrey at the Dedication Ceremony.
You can read Brandon' story by clicking here.
We miss you Brandon Thompson.

3 comments:

  1. What a touching post. Sorry for your loss. Even after time has passed, losing a loved one never seems to get any easier. Their memories are always with us! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sad tragedy...thank you for sharing such an emotional memory with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a tragic story. I am so sorry for your loss. True heros.

    ReplyDelete